Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fort Pierce - Boat Ramp

Jim and others,

I've placed boat ramp info and potential dive sites on the 2010 convention area under "Dive Operations".

http://www.psubs.org/convention/2010
http://www.psubs.org/convention/2010/diveloc

I've included links to charts and satellite photos of the area with the ramps and dive site superimposed in black/red. I've also included links to a couple of web pages that provide photos of the ramp areas. If you look at NOAA charts for the area you will see what we are up against in terms of diving in the local area, which is that the water depth surrounding the inlet is primarily between 3-4 feet deep at low tide with only a 2.5 foot average rise in water depth at high tide. It's pretty hard to dive a submarine with a four foot draft in 5 feet of water.

Fortunately, there are two areas within a reasonable distance of public boat ramps where we can get into 21-25 feet of water (see the Dive Site Charts and Satellite images I've posted at the web pages above). Ramp #1 looks like the best place to load/unload subs, but is the furthest away from the dive sites. NOAA charts show it having 8 feet of water at low tide and I have confirmed this depth with a local contact. Dive site #1 is about 500-600 yards from Ramp #1, with Dive site #2 another 500 yards or so further beyond. My assumption (sub owners please confirm) is that Ramp #1 will require that we tow subs to the dive spots.

Ramp #2 is close enough to Dive site #1 and #2 that we may not require a tow at all. The bad news is that the NOAA chart shows the launch area only having 3 feet of water at low tide. The good news is that after talking to a local contact who said this launch area is dredged regularly, we believe it may be deep enough for sub launching BUT we need to confirm this asap.

For reference, the SandHurst hotel which most of us will be staying at, is about 2 miles across the bridge (east, to the right) that is shown in the chart and satellite photo. While there are some public ramps closer to the hotel, the water depths there appear to be only 2-3 feet and unsuitable for launch/recovery.

If sub towing is necessary we have a couple of options. The first is to rent a couple of pontoon boats and do the towing ourselves. The second is to look into a towing service. A local contact has suggested the latter and is going to look at costs for us. The advantage is plenty of "towing" power. Those of us who want to observe dive operations up close will still need to rent boats so we can hover topside, if the tow vessel cannot take passengers.

We have made contact with local divers who are willing to join us and provide some safety services for us.

For starters, please review the links listed at the top of this message for specific information about the ramps and dive sites.

Jon