Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fort Pierce - Boat Ramp

Jim,

We might get lucky here. I think Vance was responding based upon information I sent him earlier in the week, which is true for the majority of boat ramp locations throughout the Ft. Pierce area. When I looked at the known boat ramps at the time, I was only seeing low water depths of 2-3 feet. Since the tide change is only about 2.5 feet in that area, it meant even high-tide was going to be a challenge for even a small sub.

However, I finally found a site that gives good descriptions of public boat ramps in the area. Coupled with NOAA chart maps it looks like there is ONE place that we could definitely use to get into about 21-25 feet of water within about 500 yards of the boat launch. Another 500 yards and there's a large area of 20+ feet of water that we could likely "rope off" with diver flags and have some fun in.

There's one other boat ramp within 500 yards of a large 20+ foot dive area which according to the web site has two "deep ramps", however the NOAA map is showing only 3 feet of water at low tide. I don't know if 5.5 feet of water at high tide is characterized by the locals as "deep water" or if possibly the NOAA chart is old and that ramp area has been dredged. It would probably be a good idea to contact the harbor master, if there is one, and ask some direct questions about specific boat ramps. I'll see if I can find a number for one if he/she exists.

I'm putting a web page together now with links, maps, and photos. Then it will become more obvious what I am referring to. However, since were talking about 500 yards to a potential dive site I suspect towing the sub there would not be unreasonable.

Let me finish up the web page and get some web references together, and we can talk about this some more.

Jon

vbra676539@aol.com wrote:
I'll be back down there by the week-end, Jim. Will check, but I think there ISN'T anywhere with six feet of water. I'm betting that 5' at high tide is about all you can hope for.
Vance