From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jon Wallace
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:51 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K1000 blueprint

Brian,

Any tank remaining open to the water is going to be a "soft" tank, and
any air within it will be subject to compression/expansion with change
of depth.  VBT's are "hard" tanks with which you can more accurately
control your neutral buoyancy regardless of depth.  The last time we
talked, we assumed the outer tanks were VBT's that were probably used to
provide buoyancy to lift objects off the bottom.  Assuming you have
enough buoyancy without them on the surface you can still use them for
extra lift even if they are open to the water.  You can also dive
without a VBT but you'll have to compensate for different diving
conditions (number of people on board, equipment on board, etc) by
adding/removing weight on the vessel some how.

Are you back in Boston?  Same place?

Jon

Brian V. Ryder wrote:
> Ok I have yet another question for the vast collective knowledge of the
> group, ok PRV2 has the aluminum frame an 12 foot by 20 inch ballast tanks
> made up in 5 separate tanks port and strbd and they refer to them on
prints
> as VBT's and one tank in the center at 24x48x36 inches they are calling
MBT,
> no my question is all of the tanks had closed drains on the bottoms and
> electric valves to flood them  I wish to do away with the valves and leave
> them open on the bottom much like the perry tanks and the center tank had
> bladder in it but the tank could be made air tight very easily I would
like
> to do away with the bladder considering its in 1000 pieces and use it mush
> like the outer tanks just open on the bottom, I would love so experienced
> input on this, and also I would love to have anyone that's interested and
in
> the Boston area stop by and see what's going on
> Thanks
> Brian V. Ryder
> brian@subatlantic.com

our server receiving your request.