Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] The last dance, The Russians, Diesel vs. Nuclear subs and AIP Psub

This thread sure is interesting. Was anybody near the coast in Florida a year
or two or so ago when people's houses were shaking because the US was
depth charging what were as best we know Russian submarines that were sneaking
up too close or something?

I guess the US Navy's decision to go nuclear fits with the general trend
that we seem to have where we are building a highly offensive military but not
putting much effort in to defense. There have been incidents that I have heard
about where Asian military units have come rather close to the US. Of course
you won't hear about this on the news.

Anyway about diesel submarines what I gather is that the advantages are the
following:
1) Smaller size and lower cost allows for a larger number of of them, as well
as being more difficult to detect because of the small size.
2) Being quieter or even comeletely silent when sumberged.
3) Military classified methods of detecting nuclear reactors / submarines
doesn't work.

Iran recently purchased two Russian diesel electric submarines for coastal
defense. They're getting ready!

What about the air independant propulsion? You know the French did something
like that where you have liquid oxygen and then liquid fuel then it is pumped
to sea pressure, then vaporized using heat from the exhaust and then it goes to
the combustion chamber and is burned at sea pressure and then the CO2 and
condenced H2O go right on out as bubbles. I know that something like 3/5 of the
fuel capacity is taken up for liquid oxygen storage instead of fuel so you only
have 2/5 as much diesel but still that's pretty good. The heat from the furnace
is then used just like a regular power plant to propel the boat. Why don't we
use this method?

I think it would be quite possible to do on a Psub too, the
only hard part would be making the steam engine/turbine part. We just have to
build mini steam power plant and get that all working, then replace the boiler
with one that can operate with the combustion at high pressure. Does anyone
know where you can buy small gas turbines? I know Garett and Elliot make them
but how does one obtain one? There was a 300kw steam turbine with 3 phase
generator on eBay for like 15 or 25,000 but that is a bit large!

Alex

--
Mailed with XFmail on 17-Apr-2010.
God saved Noah, but Noah had to build an ark!