Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design History [was: Das Unterseeboot]

As I sit here listening to some Euro-Pop I decided to peruse my bookshelf with all my sub material.  I have photocopied material of Rossler's "The U-Boat, the evolution and technical history of German submarines".

What should I find but Richard Compton-Hall's excellent treatise on submarine design and its varying mis-adventures called, um, "Submarine Boats - The Beginnings of U/W warfare".

Most importantly he covers WHY certain things were done, the technical rationale of the time, etc.  He covers everything from reserve buoyancy to batteries to escape.

Rossler's U-Boat drawings are outstanding, BTW, for those interested in DasBoot(s).

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver, Canada

"We Owned the Podium"