Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Das Unterseeboot

Jim

I bought the said book about a year ago (original version in German).

The thing is (although you may know this): the book is a must if you
intend to study political history and military (i.e. strategical) use of
various types and design of submarines, etc...

Wikipedia on Hermann Bauer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Bauer -
states the following about the said book (which is rather misleading, if
you ask me):

"a treatise on the design and operation of U-boats, [...] became a basic
text for the US submarine service."

The treatise is definitely not not a text(book) on design and operation of
U-boats. And as far as I know, it doesn't present anything of real value
for a D.I.Y. psubmariner.

The complete title of the original book is as follows:

DAS UNTERSEEBOOT
Seine Bedeutung als Teil einer Flotte
Seine Stellung im Völkerrecht
Seine Kriegsverwendung
Seine Zukunft

In English, the title would be something like this:

THE UBOAT
Its meaning (significance, purpose) as part of a naval fleet
Its position in the international law
Its use (deployment) in war
Its future (destiny)

Best regards,