From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jay K. Jeffries
Sent: 13 September 2009 12:31
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

Hugh,

I am still working on my presentation for the upcoming Conference and need to figure the various increases in size for the control surfaces for the Seehunde.  Just remember in the back of my mind the large tail surfaces on some Perry submersibles...I may be wrong but it just sticks in the back on my mind.  Some of the images in Busby’s Manned Submersibles might be of assistance.

After writing the previous email and recollecting on the classes I attended over lunch while at Electric Boat, for larger Navy subs that have the capability to operate at higher speeds, the control surfaces are relatively small when compared to the size of a hull (effectiveness of control surfaces goes up with speed).  The minimum effective speed for these surfaces was 3 knots.  For a PSUB, the control surfaces are larger in area compared to hull size so may be more effective.  Unfortunately for us, there is very little in the way of published naval architecture references for submersible design and even less for subs the size of the typical PSUB.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas