Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

Something that keeps coming back to me as I build my sub is the dive planes and how they control the sub.
   I've got the little "wings" on the sides but I keep wondering if a pair on the stern would be useful. It wouldn't take much to add a pair back there and by adding another actuator, would be fairly simple to control.
   The side ones have a Minnkota incorporated into them so even at low speeds they should  push the sub up and down but I wonder how effective some dive planes at the back would be at changing the dive angle and at what speed they would work. With two sets of dive planes and running at the slow speeds our little boats go, it may not add much.
   I've incorporated a sliding weight inside the sub to help change dive angle and adjust for level while surfaced but using dive planes while traveling submerged to change dive angle seems like it might be worth the extra effort to install.
   The main reason I haven't done it yet is that I've never seen anyone else do it so I'm wondering if it's not worth it or a waste of time and money.
    All the subs I've seen are designed to stay pretty level front to back and side to side but I keep wondering if making "banked" turns or angling the sub up and down is possible or even desirable.
Dean's sub looks like it has dive planes at the back. Anybody had any experience with this or have any thoughts ? Frank D.