RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

For the uninitiated what size were they?  Mm or inches will do. Approximations gratefully accepted.

Would be helpful.  2 sq ft,  6 sq ft?  approx length and breadth.  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jay K. Jeffries
Sent: 13 September 2009 11:54
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

Vance,

While I agree with you that they do have some effect, one of the issues that came up in reviewing the Seehund design was how effective the control surfaces were.  Through the short life of this sub, the surfaces kept growing in size.  The Perry boats are probably an order of magnitude in size as compared to the typical PSUB and there is an exponential factor (either squared or cubed…probably can squared , this is later in my classes) associated with increasing the size of a vessel and associated control surfaces.  Would have to go back and look at it but if I remember correctly the Perry surfaces were quite large.  This is not a detriment just an observation.  And while Harbor Branch (i.e. Link) may have found control surfaces unnecessary, I am speaking more from the naval architect’s perspective (even though I am an HB intern product J).

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas