RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Cheap stainless steel hull coating idea

Alex,

While some forms of stainless steel display great corrosion properties in seawater there are issues in closed space due to pitting and crevice corrosion.  The welded rings and the closed space would make this idea particular subject to pitting and crevice corrosion.  Working the stainless steel and the cost of the materials would make this a very costly addition to a submersible.  In reality, corrosion is minimal with the typical steels used in subs that have had the proper zinc anodes anchored in the proper places on the hull along with the correct application of the appropriate surface preservations...plus these methods are cost effective.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas