Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] When is a new design OK to be used on Persubs in General?

Officially, PSUBS recommends building your sub according to ABS and ASME standards. If there is a conflict between two or more authorities on a particular design or standard, we recommend you choose the stricter standard or the one that provides the highest margin of safety. PSUBS is not an enforcing authority and therefore can only recommend these standards, not insist, require, or demand adoption of them in the fabrication of your own personal submersible.

The "old standby's" as you call them, are proven solutions that work. The odds are in your favor, that if you interpret and implement them correctly you will return to the surface safely. So from that perspective, the old standby's are not stagnant, but safe bets. I think that for components which are critical to survival, primarily the pressure hull and life support, stagnant is a good thing and we want to be careful not to move quickly for a replacement.

However it seems like there is plenty of room for improvement in a number of other components to ensure we don't become stagnant. And I think you are correct, if people like you didn't forward new ideas some of these areas could become stagnant if for no other reason than technology moving forward. For example, propulsion motors, motor placement, propellers, lights, CT design (steel, acrylic dome, acrylic cylinder), battery placement, VBT + MBT design and placement, scrubber design. I'm sure there are many more. These are components where you can be as unique and innovative as you like without high risk of disturbing the integrity of the pressure vessel.

So I think you've cast innovation vs stagnant as an all-or-nothing argument, when it probably has to be applied and interpreted at a component level. I think if you make it to the convention it will give us all an opportunity to talk face to face and get to understand each other better.

Jon

Brent Hartwig wrote:

*So how many times, for how long does a design need to be tested before it's considered ok in general by PSUBS.org? Do we go by the ABS testing requirements? Or ASME?* ** *You can always say well ya it worked for 1000 dives, but I won't even consider it until it's been on a dozen different boats for 20 years in all kinds of temperatures, and heavy use, and worked flawlessly as it was first conceived. If people only use the old stand bys we would stagnate, wouldn't we?* ** *
Regards,*
*Szybowski*