Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 9:06 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Gel Coat Type for Depth

Brent,

Here are some figures from the article in Professional Boatbuilder that I spoke of:

Comparing the Options

Weight (kg)

Low cost

High cost

Baseline single-skin

3,250

18,000

28,700

Infused single-skin

2,100

13,000

18,700

Hand-laid sandwich

1,750

19,000

26,000

Infused sandwich

1,250

30,000

34,900

Optimized sandwich

1,150

27,500

30,800

You will note that the infused single-skin is lowest in cost, this is due to less materials being used and a quicker turn around on the mold.  Labor costs are actually higher than is depicted here as all the materials have to be pre-cut and carefully prepositioned prior to the infusion process (the labor is more expensive due to requiring greater experience in the lay-up crew).  While you might use the ballast tanks as an infusion process learning exercise, you expenses on the few runs that will be made for others will never amortize your costs.

The real benefit of the infusion process is building a lighter, stronger structure that allows greater speeds in surface vessels.  They have computer programs that model the infusion progression and even these then have to have trial runs to get the bonding and strength that was designed.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas