RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Gel Coat Type for Depth

Brent,

The material you are trying to negate with the powder I believe is a wax that is built into the resin that is necessary for proper polymerization of the resin.  This is usually what is sanded off prior to applying another coat of resin/glass.  If I remember correctly from my readings, you can obtain the resin without the wax but this resin should only be used for subsurface layers and additional layers have to be applied within 24 hours of each other.  The last coat should include the wax material to limit air’s interaction with final hardening of the surface.  Check formal references as I am rusty on this subject and haven’t looked at it for quite awhile.

Infusion molding has a lot of benefits but is actually much more labor intensive then other methods especially when you look at all of the testing that has to go into developing the proper placement of the infusion/vacuum ports and calculating the flow of the resin.  The labor is upfront in cutting and placing of materials but molds can be turned around much faster.  There is a great article in the most recent issue Professional Boatbuilder that compares various methods of molding GRP hulls.  An infused hull is generally lighter, stronger, and uses fewer materials with the large upfront costs spread out over a production run.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas