From: ojaivalleybeefarm@dslextreme.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hobie Mirage Drives for Peddle Subs
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:30:06 -0700

Hi Brent,
                 These have actually been around for a while.  I'm surprized they haven't become more popular.  I was just talking about these things with a kayak fisherman friend of mine.  He was off Carpenderia a couple of miles out when his kayak sprung a leak.  He had to dump his batteries and his motor in order to stay afloat.  He ended up bailing water and then paddling for a while, then bailing again and repeating the process. He finally made it in, luckily he had a pretting good wet suit on.  He was fairly shook up about the whole thing and this guy is very hard core.  Apparently his motor support started to fatigue the plastic on the rear of the kayak and a split occured.  He actually had a radio but was afraid the athorities would hammer him on the dumped batteries.  He could have alerted another boat but he didn't think of that.  I guess he didn't want a big coast guard cutter coming to the rescue.  But those peguin propulsion things are quite amazing, the good thing about thme is it frees up your hands for fishing.

Brian