RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient running on nitrox

Alan,

Sorry to hear that you are giving up on your ambient sub.  While NITROX would pose issues when used with an ambient sub, the problems can be solved.  Interesting you noted the ocular toxicity when exposed to high oxygen concentrations over time.  Briefly researched this issue a few years ago for a buddy who made several dives a day with NITROX and used oxygen for decompression as a commercial tropical fish collector.  He noted a rapid degrading of his eyesight with the oxygen exposure.  I found only one citation covering this in Bennett’s book on DCS.  After further research by his eye doctor, it was a confirmed factor in his need to have laser surgery on his corneas.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas