RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient running on nitrox

Alan,

Your ambient sub will definitely be unique and have several complications that are not encountered in a typical ambient PSUB.  You are going against convention in the technical diving community in that for all practical purposes you will have a rebreather without a means to monitor your oxygen levels.  You have much more to worry about than just fire.  While I admire your computations, I do not believe that they are as straight forward as you lay out.  In reality, when you look at your proposed life support system, it would be termed a feed-and-bleed case and these are governed by a differential equation vice a linear decrease in the oxygen level.  As it has been many years since I have had to contemplate this particular type of equation used in this manner, I will leave it to you to conduct further mathematical research.

You should do a literature search on Dr. Bill Hamilton and oxygen tolerance.  The onset of oxygen toxicity can be rapid, with little forewarning, and have tragic results.  There are two types of oxygen toxicity, one due to high partial pressures at depth and the other due to length of exposure.  And since most ambient subs involve some parts of the body being immersed in water, you need to take in to account thermal exposure.  Something many people do not consider is that an exposure to 72 degree Fahrenheit water for an hour will put most people mildly hypothermic…with this comes a significant decrease in mental acuity and muscle strength.  Don’t remember where you plan on operating but exposure can be a significant factor.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas