From: Alan James
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient running on nitrox

Thanks for your reply Jay these emails can take some time.
Thought I had you on the regulator issue.
As said on my initial post, I'd have to think on restricting myself to the dive time tables for air & the dive depth for nitrox as there would be a dilution of the O2 content.
However at say 99ft the O2 in a hull with an air volume of 200 liters would be 312 liters with a 39% nitrox mix. This would give me 144 liters of O2 before I
got down to the 21% O2 mark. This is  9.6 hrs at .25 liters per minute consumption. Not to mention the air at 39% O2 replacing it to keep the sub ambient.
Quite a safety margin seeing I'm restricted to decompression times. Also no need for a dedicated O2 feed.
I'll be using a scrubber & for the ambient system, a pipe open to the sea, comming up through the hull with probes down it leading to a solenoid valve.
As the water level increases it hits the probes wich activate the solenoid valve letting air in to equalize. Excess pressure bubbles out the pipe.
Like a dive, it will need planning & building in margins of error.
My main concern that I'll look into at depth is the fire risk.
Thanks for the shared experience of the moisture vulnerable O2 monitors.
I won't be trusting one with my life.
Alan