Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Subdate

Hi Everyone.

Just reading this post from Vance on his Kboat modifications and in particular those side thrusters.

Im very tempted to do the same and ditch the side thrusters in pods as shown on the plans.  Use Minn Kota motors instead as a lot of other people have done - it just seems simpler.  BUT, im not sure how to go about this.

Some questions.  Sorry if these are obvious but im not sure on this modification.

1.  Do people just buy the standard Minn Kota outboard motor complete with the bracket, leg, controls, handle, battery etc and just modify the motor part?  or can you get just the motor and prop on its own?

2.  Whats the through hull design?  A straight forward twin O ring through hull on the outboard shaft?

3.  Compensation.  Oil, ambient air pressure regulator?

I've actually made the two 1" through hulls as shown on the plans for the standard K350 side thruster pods, but im not going to fit them just yet.

Lots of people use these motors so it must be reasonably simple.

Any advice guys?

Thanks
James

I'm worried about weight on the 1-man K boat. Payload is at a premium. However, I'm ditching the old steel cans and the 3hp motor/1/2 hp side thrusters in favor of the Minn Kota 101s, figuring on improved thrust and substantially less weight in the process. I'll look into the SS sheet. My brother works in a machine/fab shop, so we can do pretty much anything we want to. The Perry tanks were 14 gauge as I recall. They oil canned a little over time, but we walked all over those puppies all the time, so they are strong enough to sit out there without protective fairings.

One of the real bonuses about moving the tanks from the old Kittredge style is visibility. That forward tank is in the WAY, not two ways about it. Of course it will tow like a miniature shipping container, so that's something to think about as well.

I'll be doing a picture series on this rebuild. By changing tanks, thrusters, steering, valves,?et al, it's a way to show the guys how to bring the sub up to date while using the stock pressure hull design.

When are you coming to Daytona? I'm thinking mojito here.

Vance