RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Subdate

Hi James,

1.  Do people just buy the standard Minn Kota outboard motor complete
with the bracket, leg, controls, handle, battery etc and just modify the
motor part?  or can you get just the motor and prop on its own?

AS: You can buy just the parts you need cheaper than the whole thing, I
recommend www.trollingmotorparts.com.

2.  Whats the through hull design?  A straight forward twin O ring
through hull on the outboard shaft?

AS: I would not go with the standard pipe because it just isn't strong.
In fact some motors come with plastic pipes designed to be flexible so
the shaft bends when you hit something, rather than break off. On the
side thrusters, I've got heavy through-hulls. I did use the stock pipe
on the stern thruster, because that one doesn't go through the hull. The
through-hulls are just a SS bar stock with an external shoulder to
prevent the thing from being pushed in, and bored to whatever minimum
inside diameter you need for the cables and potting. Do not just pot the
cables, you have to put in solid conductors so the pressure doesn't wick
along the cable strands. I'd recommend machining some vice flats on the
through-hull too, for the day you need to unscrew a thruster that's been
on there a few years.

3.  Compensation.  Oil, ambient air pressure regulator?
I've had both but like oil compensation the best because it's the
simplest (not a single moving part). I just changed the oil a couple of
days ago. I expected it to be laden with carbon deposits, but it came
out looking like new despite being in there for 4 years. Admittedly I
put very few hours on the sub, but it still surprised me that the oil
came out looking as clear as the day it went in. And yes, it WAS oil not
water that came out...

:)

Alec