From: Brent Hartwig <brenthartwig@hotmail.com>
To: PSUBSorg <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:27 pm
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Vacuum test

Howdy Frank,

I don't see a vacuum test as being that hard, and if it saves you a trip to the water then it might save even more time over all, not to mention the cost of a crane in some cases such as Alicia and the British Navy watching. Also in some subs they have components and/or operators that are allergic to water. ;}

 I just consider it one of a progression of test in getting the sub ready for manned ops.  I'm working on a configuration for a timer and back up timer that control pneumatic valves that will put air into the MBT's and another timer set at a longer time period to turn on a high pressure pump to drain my bladder VBT, for unmanned deep water testing so I don't have to pull it up manually or with a winch.  Although now I have a 32 ft tender motor yacht with a anchor winch available to me for this test to I have a good back up if the sub doesn't become fully flooded.

Also this timer system can be used for a type of dead man switch for normal manned sub ops, so that if the pilot goes unconscious  the sub will surface on it's own.

I'll post in regards to galvanizing in a moment.

Regards,

Szybowski