Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Shrinkage of plexi windows.

Ok Frank, I got my Stachiw book.

Page 834, third paragraph. Stachiw says the dimensional change from annealing "may exceed in some cases 2 percent of original dimensions". He goes on to say, "Such a change may be unacceptable for acrylic articles machined to dimensional tolerances of < 0.010-in (0.25mm)." He also suggests reducing the internal stresses to less than 200psi prior to initiation of machining operations.

There's no mention of which cases may exceed a 2 percent dimensional difference. It's not something that can be calculated and I suspect since your thru-hulls are already installed you're just going to have to give it your best effort and hope it comes out ok.

Jon

ShellyDalg@aol.com wrote:
Hi Jon. Ya, the info I got last winter was pretty good about how fast to ramp up the temp. and how long to hold etc, then the cooling process and time and all. It's available from a few sources. Couldn't find the shrinkage though. With the window frames already fabricated, I want to have the finished windows fit with a 1/16 inch clearance. I need to know how big to cut the disks, so they are the right size after annealing them twice. The ID on the frames are 16 and 24 inch, so the _finished_ disks need to be 1/8 inch less. I saw some info where there's only supposed to be a couple of thousandths clearance, but that ain't gonna happen.
Frank D.