Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] welding sheet metal

Norm that is a good thought, I do not have access to a TIG or have not welded with a TIG for
25yrs. Welded a few race car chasis in my youth O to be young again.

In a message dated 2/26/2009 1:24:43 P.M. Central Standard Time, nparmley@suddenlink.net writes:

Dean,

If you can TIG or have access would be the best, less heat with less distortion. Plus, you can find some good how-to-videos on Youtube and others.

Norm

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Emile van Essen
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:17 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] welding sheet metal

Dean,

I would not braze; its twice the work and heat input.

A good mig weld is not porous. A lot of welding mishap occurs due to:

--corrosion or scale on material or wire

- Water and/or grease on material or wire

-dirty or leaking pistol/hose

-wrong gas (should be CO2 with 20% Agon 8 litres/minute)

I experienced with welding the KSS that the half finished hull acts like a funnel. The created airstream blows the gas away!.

Good luck, Emile