Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ADS NewtSuit/HardSuit Applications

Hi, Sean - I'd agree with you on a few conditions (my own, of course):

1] The visor didn't constrict the diver's peripheral vision or top-down
view.
2] If the helmet wasn't attached to the diver's head (i.e.: fixed at the
neck), the visor would have to provide even more range of view (max. limit
of "neck stretch")
3] Aux air was available via reg/oral-nasal mask (for comm) - maybe on a
holder inside the helmet
4] the power/cylinder/tool pack was jettisonable (pony bottle?)
5] backup lift was available or dropable weights

Then I'd feel like it was a suit - just one I couldn't really bend in like a
dry suit.  But, I share David's dislike for a confining "spray-on" sub.
EEEeeewwwwww!!
I intensely dislike hard hats for that reason.

When I worked u/w I absolutely used to HATE it when I couldn't see where I
was snagged or hung up because I couldn't see past the limits of my
equipment.  If your fingers are cold, forget about the touchy-feely way
out - no sensation, no feedback.

IMHO, ROV's and subs in general are dangerousy limited in their viewing
capacity.  Obviously, in the early stages this had to do with available
technology and, to some degree, still does.  Things have improved vastly
over the decades thanks to others having made the same observations.

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver, Canada