Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ADS NewtSuit/HardSuit Applications

Phil - didn't Sylvia Earle end up on the cover of Natn'l Geo on that dive?

Rick in Vancouver

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Nuytten" <pnuytten@compuserve.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ADS NewtSuit/HardSuit Applications

Hi, Frank D.
the Newtsuit has 80 hours of life support built in - same as the
DeepWorkers. It's a requirement (min. 72 hours) of Lloyds or ABS
classification.

Can a girl dive the Newtsuit? I trained Sylvia Earle to dive in an ADS for
a film segment we did for  an NBC two-hour special called 'Mysteries of the
Sea'  (see the book 'Exploring the deep frontier' by Al giddings and Sylvia
Earle) . Sylvia weighs about a hundred pounds and is just over five feet -
but she is a titanium lady! We shot in Hawaii and Sylvia went down 1250
feet strapped to the front of the submersible 'Star 2' - she was released
on the bottom and roamed on a short tether from the sub - like a lock-out
diver - for hours. That dive was a record for a solo dive by a scientist -
male or female. It's been broken many times since, but was hot stuff at the
time. They run it on late night TV occasionally (not often enough - my
ACTRA residual checks are like 30 bucks!) so worth watching for. One of the
very best pilots we ever trained in the Newtsuit was a Canadian astronaut
named Julie Payette (google her name for info) she was a natural in the
suit and ran circles around a number of the male pilot trainees. Answer to
question is: Lady ADS pilots? - no problem. Incidently, a properly set-up
Newtsuit joint has little more torque than a space suit.
Phil

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53