From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jay K. Jeffries
Sent: 07 July 2008 14:33
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compression Time Tables for Wet Exit

Hugh,

It was hard for me to reconcile at first also.  It is a density issue the air being buoyant wants to rush out and it sucks you out with it and it entrains water with it.  I once cracked (fortunately didn’t open it fully) a hatch on a sunken sub at 135 fsw.  The ensuing gas escape caused a strong suctional force upward and resulted in a boil 30 feet in diameter and a foot high at the surface…pushed the surface support boat back to the limits of its mooring.

The Brits went back to the Med and tested a later version of their escape apparatus/exposure suit and broke their record by a short distance.  The US Submarine Service has now adopted the British-style escape apparatus (I believe the Mk-10) and retired the Steinke Hood which I have previous used in practice as part of submarine training.  It is a rapid express train ride to the surface!

In my presentation was a table and graph that should for various depths how long you have to get out of the sub and start for the surface.  The deeper the water, the shorter the time period.  You can’t realize how debilitating the temperature of the water can be.  Reading accounts of previous escapes and talking with one of the survivors from the USS Squalus really sinks home that you want to make your escape efforts as soon as possible if a better solution is not available.

Something to keep in mind that when we speak of hoods and escape apparatus from subs, this gear is all made for large subs with dedicated escape chambers that facilitate using this escape gear.  We don’t have that option in most PSUBS.

R/Jay