Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Acrylic Supplier (was: is this ok)

We made our own flat ports at Perry, and the best I remember, they were polished on a lathe down to fine smoothness, but not to the same level as the lens faces, and then annealed. I don't know what's required now. Phil certainly will, so maybe he'll kick in some info. Barring that, why not contact the Drs Stachiw? They seemed amenable to general questions in Michigan. Perhaps they'd give us a little free advice here. Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Wallace <jon@psubs.org>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 6:47 pm
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Acrylic Supplier (was: is this ok)

Phil Nuytten...Vance Bradley...can you respond regarding polished edges for viewports?

I got the info I needed back from the representative of Port Plastics.  I talked to a different representative than the one Scott talked to, and got significantly higher pricing.  I'm confident that the rep I talked to understood exactly what I needed and in fact he returned to me the same spec-sheet for R-Cast acrylic by Reynolds, that Scott received.  R-Cast acrylic by Reynolds meets or exceeds ASME PVHO-1 standards for submersibles.  Interestingly, Reynolds told Port Plastics that they would not "certify" the material due to liability issues.

Unpolished Edge
8 x 1.25  $95/each
15 x 2.5  $315/each
16 x 2.5  $355/each

Polished Edge
8 x 1.25  $212/each
15 x 2.5  $520/each
16 x 2.5  $575/each

It's not clear to me that a polished edge is a requirement.  I thought I had read in Stachiw's book that it was, but now I can't find the part of the book that I think I read it in.  Perhaps someone on the list has the answer and can provide a reference?  I think it's important to know.

This material is not annealed after machining.  Neither Port Plastics nor Reynolds provides annealing services so this material would have to be annealed by the home-builder (or sub-contracted out) to conform to ASME PVHO-1 standards.

Jon