Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drop Weight

Dean. I thought about that same thing for a while. A tray that drops down, or a container that empties, or anything really that needs room to drop, may not work if you're on the bottom, deep in muck.
My drop weight is more like an anchor that I can let go of. It has a steel wedge shaped shroud with plenty of clearance. Even stuck in the mud, I will be able to turn the pin, and float up off the weight. I may add an air line to the pin housing, just in case I need to blow a little air under the sub to break suction on the mud. I had wanted to use a threaded rod, so I could ''load'' the weight into the shroud from the trailer bed, but then the hydraulic pin pivot wouldn't work. Too many turns to release. I opted for the socket design you've seen, and will have to use a jack to load the weight into the shroud. Some of the high dollar subs used mercury as a drop weight. It could also be pumped forward/back to adjust pitch. I can't imagine what the 'fish and game' would say if I dropped 1000 lbs. of mercury into the ocean. I'll have a buoy on my drop weight so it can be retrieved later, but I hope that never becomes a problem ( except I'll have to test it periodically in the water.)
Frank D.