Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] certification question

Emile - if you are talking about ABS certification, the process is quite
clearly outlined in the the ABS publication "Rules for Building and Classing
Underwater Vehicles, Systems and Hyperbaric Facilities".  Essentially, it
entails an ongoing audit throughout the design and manufacture of the vessel.
All ABS rules must be complied with, and you work with an ABS inspector at
various stages - in design, exhaustive engineering drawings are required, as
well as finite element analysis of some structures.  In manufacture, all
welds must be performed by a certified welder, and be full-penetration in
accordance with the rules for constructing steel vessels, and all hull welds
must be 100% non-destructively tested - an expensive proposition in of
itself.  The viewports must be certified (batch tested by the manufacturer,
certified as to annealing treatment and specifically marked).  During
testing, the hull must be strain gauged, and certain actions are required to
certify the vessel to its design depth in the presence of the inspector.  I
presume that you would need to cover all of the inspector's expenses as well.

-Sean