RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] NMEA interface to sonar units.

I've worked with GPS receivers using NMEA, and it's extremely simple.  Standard ASCII text, comma-delimited values, and easy to verify checksums.  The only issue I had was that windows kept wanting to set the COM port to 9600 baud, and the 0183 NMEA standards require it to be 4800.  Not a biggie once you know that you need to adjust it.

I'm sure that NMEA sonar can't work at that low a baud rate, and their are newer standards that talk at a much higher speed. But I'll hazard a guess and say that the communications can be that much more complex.

-- NP

PS: You can pick up a GPS receiver for cheap just about anywhere on the internet.  You can even buy Microsoft's Streets and Trips that comes with one in the box, and have a fun time just playing around with the receiver.