[PSUBS-MAILIST] NMEA interface to sonar units.

Hi,

one thing I've been thinking about recently is what type on SONAR
I would like on a sub.  So far, the best off the shelf unit I've
seen is from farsounder.com, which comes with a nice 3D interface.

It seems many of the other off the shelf SONAR units generate
simar data, but the UI that comes with the unit doesn't support
a nice 3D interface.  But, if there was some way of connecting
a PC to the unit and the bathometic data extracted, it could be
processed and displayed in 3D on a PC or laptop.

So, I started to research what standards where avaliable for
interfacing PCs to SONAR units.  I finally came across NMEA
(nmea.org) which seems to be what I was looking for.

Has anybody here had any experience with NMEA standards?
How are they to work with?  Anybody talked NMEA to a SONAR
unit before?

I plan on doing more research (of course!), but at somepoint buy
an NMEA compatible SONAR unit and see what I can download from
it and if it can work in near real time.

Thanks!
  Ian.