Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Some issues

Joe,

So mainly there's that one unpleasant reality of submerging a volume of air: it has a lot of buoyancy!  63 lbs/cf of seawater adds up pretty quickly into a too-heavy-to-trailer submarine.  And the fact that you're considering an ambient sub doesn't really help your displacement, right?  The construction is easier in that you don't need a 1 inch thick pressure hull but unfortunately the boat needs to weigh just as much as if you did.

I've liked the DeepFlight two person sub (model 502) which has a separate pressure compartment for each occupant.  It really helps to reduce the cabin air volume but it also locks you into a small space which is very different from your original dream.  And does anyone know why it's been decommisioned now?  I think they built that one for their pilot training program.  Maybe they didn't get many people buying the training?  http://deepflight.com/subs/dfa.htm

What we need is a clever trick like that used in water ballasted sailboats - just fill the tanks before sailing to increase your displacement.  But of course that doesn't help a sub, unless you look at flooding most of your crew compartment while diving.   Maybe you need a sand ballast keel system.  :-)  Run along in shallow water scooping up sand until you've got the two tons or so that you need...

take care-
Paul