From: Myles Hall <myles.h@sasktel.net>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:54:42 -0600
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hard / soft ballast tanks.

Bill,

   Thanks for that.

   I have been giving the design much thought.  Have drawn and redrawn a lot of plans.

   My plan from the onset was to make the sub U-boat -esque in that I wanted something long and lean, diesel electric, with decent surface performance.  I arrived at a length of 30' max from tip to tail, being what I could feasibly transport. I have calculated a pressure hull length of 10' x 36" which would be in the middle of the 30' overall length.  The two ends on either side, which would give the sub some hydrodynamics, I was planning on making into for/aft soft ballast tanks out of a fibreglass shape.  The "saddle" tanks were going to be compressed air reserviors (following the principle of having your bouyancy up high).  I figured I would need substantial air reserve to blow tanks of such size.  My bat pods will be mounted low in the floor within the pressure hull but in their own sealed compartments for safety reasons.  The fuel cell will also be mounted low with vents and the filler cap accesible from the floor.  All the while I am trying to design the sub with the weight down low, and the bouyancy up high.  ....then comes the variable ballast tank.  My design called for mounting it directly underneath the pressure hull amidships in that I wanted to control just the one tank to obtain neutral bouyancy.  I was looking at the design of actual U-boats which also have a similar tank directly underneath the control room amidships.  I was working under the assumption that with all the other weight down low, as well as a weighted keel that will be under the tank, that would be sufficient to keep the boat stable, both surface and submerged.  The primary function of this variable ballast tank is to compensate the weight lost as a result of the diesel fuel consumption.

   That's the basic premise from which I'm working from.