[PSUBS-MAILIST] Hard / soft ballast tanks.

Gents,

   Hard / soft ballast tanks....what exactly are we talking about here ?  Hard ones made of...hard material and soft ones made of inflatable bags or something ?

   In contemplating my design for the fore and aft main ballast tanks, it occured to me that the construction of these tanks does not have to be up to the same standard as the pressure hull, even if purged at depth, due to the fact that the forcing of air into the tanks to purge the water creates an "ambient" enviroment within the tank, equalizing the pressures put upon it.  Is my line of thinking correct ?  In other words, as far as the ballast tanks are concerned, it shouldn't matter if the internal and external pressures are equal due to the tank being filled with water, or compressed air.  As long as your high pressure air supply has enough psi to force the water out, it should be possible to blow the tanks at any depth.  Again, am I on the right track with this thinking ?  One of the reasons I am enquiring about this is I am wondering if it's possible to use fore/aft main ballast tanks as trim tanks as well ?  For eg. if I'm at a depth of 50M in my 1ATM sub (with fore/aft tanks filled with water), and I discover that my trim isn't quite right, that I require a little lift in the front, can I put a little air into the fore main ballast tank, or will this damage the tank since the construction of it is quite light.  I suppose if it is possible to blow the tanks at any depth, you would want some sort of check valve to bleed off the excess pressure that would occur from surfacing, or risk blowing your ballast tanks up, sinking, and dying.

Myles.