[PSUBS-MAILIST] Community Design Project

Comrades,

I am not too keen on the idea of building a sub by committee, but even if the final results are only ever on paper, it may be a good way of systematically discussing each aspect of a sub and thus help expose everyone to the process of building their own. I would think, (maybe someone already did this or suggested it) the way to begin this would be to make a simple outline, then exhaust the discussion on each topic before discussing the next.

In my opinion, it may be helpful to use a current design as sort of a standard or reference. The Kittridge design, obviously, is proven and dependable, but it is dated. Why not take the Kittredge sub and improve it? Use it as the basis for discussion and walk though each aspect of its design and improve it. The hull may be overbuilt and thus we may be able to make it lighter, etc. Or we may want to minimize the number of holes punched thru the hull for ballast and what not. Several people on here have mentioned that a lot of the components called out in the design are no longer avaliable or are from the stone age. Let's find replacements. Or maybe we discover that an aspect to his design is still better than any we could come up with.

The idea would be to have a fully engineered and ready to be built sub, all you need is money and a telephone.

One more thought, don't divide people up so that this person is responsible for this, or that person is responsible for that..... have a list of names of everyone who is active on this mailing list (who has posted) and hear each persons thoughts and don't leave any questions unanswered. Each person will be responsible to contribute an email composed of their thoughts before discussion will continue. Using the K-sub as a reference, the discussion will be focused, minimizing the rabbit trails and "only in theory" ideas.

If you start with the hull, the objective may be to have everyone submit the redesigned print to their local fabricator for a quote. This will give everyone actual interaction with vendors which would educate us about their capablities and our own.

This idea would require that everyone interested has to purchase a set of Kittridge plans. We can then transform it into the 2005 (Or 20.. something) model. But if we fail to complete it, we will at least have a set of plans that do work and have that to show for our efforts.

In the meantime everyone can continue designing their own personal sub but maybe learn and contribute a few things to an OSS (or whatever) community design project and no top secret ideas will be compromised.

Any one onboard with this approach??

Adam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Warren Greenway" <opensourcesub@yahoo.com>