Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Starting my sub

HI, Carsten  Dj here, Thanks for the info.
I have just completed the cradle for the tank, this will make it easy to rotate and move around I can rotate the tank a complete 360 deg. I am also building a custom tandem wheel trailer.
I do have two fork lifts and two over head cranes. To answer your question about the tank Shell is 1/4 in. SA 299 MOD
Steel grade ?
The end caps are 3/8 in. D&F and they are simi-hemispherical.
For installing the rings I was thinking about removing one end cap, this also raises a question about using a cutting torch would this not stress the area being cut ? and then when I weld the end cap back on this would also stress again ? or is this stress relieved at the final heating.
I plan on having this completed within a year if not sooner, and for the cost that will be minimal, I have a machine shop I can do all of my own machining. I have just about all the parts I need, I run a aircraft and military surplus and I have about 10 acres of surplus items, gages, pressure spheres, actuators, accumulators, if you know of anyone that is looking for a special part and they are having a hard time locating it shoot it to me  most of the time I can locate it. well I think thats all I have to say for now .  Dj

does any of this make sence?

Carsten Standfuss <MerlinSub@t-online.de> wrote:
4' x 12' equal to 1,22 x 3,658 m = displacement 4,275 m3.
Ready Boat in the range of 5,2 - 6,5 ts.

Projects starting with questions :

- Do you have a carrier for that weight ?

- Do you have a strong forklift or hangar cranes and a hangar ?

- Thickness of the shell ?

- Shell steel grade ?

- Thickness of the endcaps - geometry of the endcaps ?

- How get the frames in ? Cutting the tank in two parts ?

- Can you spent 15000-25000 for this project in the next 2 years ?

regards Carsten.

Daniel Lance schrieb:

> DJ,
> I would have to second everything Alec Smyth said. If you really want
> a sub. Build a K350 from plans, using NEW steel from a reputable ASME
> certified Pressure Vessel Fabricator. The K350 design is approved by
> ABS, LLoyds etc. It has a proven track record (100+ built and put in
> service ?). Get a copy of Capt. George Kitteridge's book " I found
> Israel's Atom Bomb Factory " and read it.
> The 516GR70 steel that makes up the pressure hull from a per unit cost
> category is probably the cheapest part of the project.
> A completed Sub using your 4' x 12' cylinder would weigh somewhere in
> the range of 5 to 10 tons, Launching and retrieving will be a real
> challenge unless you have a large trust fund.
> Remember building the sub is only the first part, actually using it is
> the second part. Eventually you will get bored with diving near the
> boat ramp. You will want some type of a support vessel next.
> Submarines are not cheap, a K350 will cost around $30,000.00 doing
> most of the work yourself. (using new certified materials and doing
> quality work).
> Turning the 4'x12' cylinder into a sub, my guess $100,000.00 .
> And last but not least Safety, If your not using pressure vessel
> quality steel you will be risking your life.
> My 3 cents worth,
> Dan Lance
>
> From: Dj
> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:08:50 -0700 (PDT)
> To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
> Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Starting my sub
>
> I guess it's my turn , I never thought this day would come a
> friend of mine was cutting up some scrap iron from his fab
> yard and he was just about ready to lay waste to a beautiful
> 4' x 12' tank in perfect condition and of course I asked if
> I could have it. Well I have the tank now but I have a
> problem all of this seemed so easy when it was dream, now
> that its all real I am stuck on stupid, So can someone point
> me in the right direction until I get over the shock that I
> have started to build my own sub. from what I understand you
> take the dia 4' squared x .7854 x L L=12' = 150.7968
> CF x 62.4 lbs = 9409.72032 llbs of water displacement --
> 2.500 lbs this is how much the tank weigh = 7088lbs and
> this would be the weight that I would have to meet in order
> for the sub to sink ?
> and how do you calculate-how deep you can go and stiffeners
> needed.
> Thanks.
> Deric from
> Lancaster,CA
> Yahoo! Mail
>
> - 50x more storage than other providers!

automated process and should be complete within five minutes of receipt
of your request.

mailto:removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311