Re: Fw: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Escape Hatch Realities

you:
> Scuttle valves:  It is a generally accepted rule of thumb that most submarines
will have high pressure air for the ballast system.  There is no need
for a
Scuttle Valve.  All that is needed is a valve that can be opened from
the inside
that will let in high pressure air into the pressure vessel till it?s
equal with the
out side.  Then you will be able to open the hatch,

I:
This is the normal procedure for diver exit hatches on civil sub used
regulary
- the hatch are in the bottom of the boat - and not very helpfull if the
boat
is on the bottom - especially if the hatch open to outside..
Is common for small volume diver exist chambers. And maybe for small
oneman
ore twoman, shallow water dive subs.

You:
I do have lots of experience in submarines and it is not a normal
procedure.

I:
Thats intressting - tell me more - which boat and operations ?

you:
It is mush better to make a good dive plan and we in submarines do not
just get
tossed into the water and drive around all willy nilly across the ocean
floor.
This action would be a death trip waiting to happen.  Next, the life
support
system should be designed for a minimum of 72 hours for each person.

I:
hmm.. a small yes ..

- 72 hours for one man sub for all (one) members

- 96 hours for small subs with more than one crew member for all

- 168 hours for autonomus subs

I have 168 (one week) for my autonomus sub with is compare to the
clasification rules.
and 4 hours in my one man sub which it is not.. but I have a flood-vale
to leave
and diver equiment in both boats.

you :
But in truth, if you get stuck on some thing you will probably die from
hypothermia before your life support is depleted.
Also, it should be considered impossible to escape from a submarine at
any depth deeper than 200 feet!

I:
Wrong - my six Steinke Escape Hoods designed and tested from the US-Navy
for mauch greater deeps. And the commercial dive equipment on board will
be designed for 250 Meter (820 feet)..  I personally think I can leave
the
boat in 1000 feet for a fair chance of 50/50 to survive..

You:
.  As the pressure is increased in side the
sub so that it?s possible to open the hatch you will become over come by
Nitrogen Narcoses. So at that point you?ll be having a bad day but you
may
not care.  These are the facts, don?t get hung up on any thing down
there.
It will probably be the last hang up you?ll ever have.

I :
If you flood the sub with water in a coupe of minutes the increasing  of
pressure
will get very high only the last minutes during the last compression of
the
air bubble in the cabin. So - yes there is a big risk - but much better
chance than the two guys died in Largo Margore in Italy in the 60ies
in there cabin without a flood vale - boat crashed in the mud - the did
not died
of a short nitrogen narcoses - they died on a long 4 hours CO2 poision -
you can find
there heavy finger nails scratches inside the sub made from GRP..

You:
DJB

I:
Carsten