Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Learning to Weld

Being "certified" or having "certs" is generally misrepresented. My wife
(who has never welded) could become a certified welder by tomorrow with
only one day of training. How? Because all certification means is that you
are able to weld something the way someone wants it welded, usually. My
wife could learn how to close her eyes, place the nozzle of a mig torch in
a joint, squeeze the trigger for 5 seconds and whammo, you have a tack
weld. If that tack weld passes a bend test she could be a certified tack
welder! I could set the voltage and wire feed speed for her.
Certification means that you have passed a welding test in accordance with
a recognized society, like the "American Welding Society" (AWS)who has set
up standards (which are the minimum requirements) that must be met to be
qualified to weld. Not qualified to weld anything, only qualified to weld
what you were tested for. There are levels, in a way, like if you can weld
a groove joint between two pieces of 1 in. thick plate with a backing
strip, with 1/8 in. 7018 welding rod in the vertical and the overhead
positions and these samples pass visual examination and a destructive
examination you will be certified to weld structural plate in any position
of any thickness with electrodes in the 70XX and below class. This is like
having a diploma; it tells your employer what you are capable of.

As for the Psub welder, certification doesn't apply unless you want ABS to
approve your sub. As a psub welder though, knowing what AWS requires is
useful in determining your personable abilities, or maybe the abilities of
the guy who will weld your sub.

I hope this helps. I am an engineer, so communication is not my strong
point.

Ask me to clarify anything.

Adam