[PSUBS-MAILIST] Other replica ideas (was: Group support...or is that "Support Group"?)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:30:10 -0800 (PST) Dewey Mason writes:

>I love the lines of the biber, and it seems to be the
>most open to a good "modernazation", but I am open to
>all kinds of suggestions. Who has pics of the other
>midgets, and or specs for them?

Did anyone ever give any thought to a Kaiten?    No conning
tower, lots of length for batteries: good characterisitics for
replica-builders.   The shortest Kaiten was the first version
at 38 feet, 4 inches long.  (The later versions were 54 feet
long.) They were a bit limited in operations, also.

The Italians built the CA subs.   CA-1 and CA-2 were 32 feet
long,  and CA-3 and CA-4 were 34 feet long.  Compared to
the German  small submarines, the Italian boats lacked the
image of purpose.  I don't find them interesting at all.

Does anyone know anything about small Russian boats?  The
smallest I know about right now are the "M" boats.    They
weren't very small, in truth: they were just smaller than most
other operational submarines at the time.

When we are discussing replica boats based on the available
plans, it will be difficult to go with anything other than  German
designs.  The German designs are the ones with the best
documentation available!

Mike Holt

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!