From: Dan H.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] O rings and pressure

Brian,

I see you already have good recommendations for some O-ring information sites.  I would like to comment on some of the other recommendations you were given though.

True, many times an O-ring is installed in the shaft rather then the housing.  As was mentioned, It reduces the effective diameter of the shaft though and caused critical stress points because of the nature of the O-ring groove itself.  Also, if you require a .500 inch diameter shaft for the torque your applying and groove the shaft, you have to use a shaft of maybe .625 or .750 inch to have .500 where the groove is.  The larger shaft size is like a piston in your hull.  With the water pressure on the outside and ambient pressure in the inside, the larger shaft diameter has greater longitudinal forces on it and will be harder to rotate at depth.

Machining internal O-ring grooves is more difficult then machining grooves on a shaft but polishing a bored cylinder is more difficult then simply buffing the shaft to a smooth finish.

For most through hull applications put the grooves in the housing not the shaft.

I also think you should use a high pressure regulator on your air supply.  If find a time when you need 2000 pounds pressure to blow ballast, your in deep ( I wasn't thinking water here).   Regulate your air pressure down so you can blow ballast at depth with some extra pressure for a safety factor.  The HP air won't freeze since the majority of the moisture is removed if you have them filled at a dive shop.  But you just don't need to work with that high pressure in a P-sub.

Dan H.