Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] enquiry - Surface Propulsion

(I got a couple weeks behind again.)

	Everything Ray said about not using a gasoline engine makes sense (I
wouldn't trust myself to not get blowed up messing with that). But it's
a shame, because it would be so handy. For instance, going
all-electric, with a generator to run during surface cruising so you
don't run down your batteries? Do they make small *diesel* portable
generators? One you could lift out topside and start up?

	What would it take to make a gasoline *outboard* run after being
submerged? Is there any feasible way of fitting all its openings (air
intake, fuel cap, exhaust port, am I missing some?) with valves? And
sealing up all the electric parts with a thick coating of some kind of
glurp? Is this just a hopeless fantasy?

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 03:35 PM, DBACKIDS@aol.com wrote:
> Regarding using an all electric design or a surface tender:
> Electric: you could easily put cheap solar panels on the top of you
> sub to provide extra power.

	You'd have to float out there a LONG time to put any useful charge
into a deep cycle battery. That, or have a few hundred square feet of
panels you could fold out and float on the surface. Which, come to
think of it, would be really, really cool. What a guy needs is a
space-program-surplus outlet, with some of those high-power intricately
folding panels...
	Right now, it's overcast - and I'm taking in less power than I'm using
by reading e-mail on a laptop, and running the aquarium filter. I'll
have to start the generator later. I'm not saying it's not magical cool
free energy -- it's just not *that* magical...