Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FYI: For the toy sub collectors

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 06:32 PM, Steven Mills wrote:
> Dropped into Toys-R-Us to see what was new and on sale.
>
> The GI Joe line of toys has a submarine: the "Tiger Shark" on the
> shelves.
> It's about 3 feet long, makes sounds, is motorized [ no, it
> doesn't submerge...shucks!  ]  and fires missles.

I mentioned the "Water Bug" spinny random-swimming thing at WalMart,
but I don't think I mentioned the cool little $10 sub American Science
& Surplus has. It's just a WWII-sub-shaped, balanced plastic toy --
with a propeller, rudder, and dive planes. With a little tweaking of
those control surfaces, you can get it to cruise at various depths, and
circle around to you don't lose it. I'm not sure what purpose there is
to this activity, but it kept me occupied for an hour or so...

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=6396

(I suppose you could classify these toy-mentions as fitting of P-Subs'
purpose -- under "cross-generational promotion and encouragement." If
you had a kid and a pool, who knows what seeds you might plant by
surrounding her with toy submarines? It's a little investment in the
future...)