Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sensor Interfacing

For interfacing sensos to a PC I would look at the Dallas/Maxim IC
1-wire equipment.  The devices connect to the PC via serial port.

http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/

for I/O Devices:

http://embeddeddatasystems.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=IO

One advantage of going with 1-wire is that since 100+ devices connect
via a 1-wire plus ground network it limits the number of hull
penetrations needed.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/1-Wire.cfm

I haven't used National Instruments Products because they were simply
beyond the budget for what we were doing.

If you want to build your own interface I would note that having used
the BasicX and PIC-Basic Pro (a lanuguage identical to basic stamp 2) I
would not consider using anything based on Basic Stamp.  BasicX uses
BXBasic, which is VB 6 with most of the stupidity removed.  The cost for
a BX Kit is $100 and the IDE is free.

The Netmedia BasicX units were quite effective for the vehicle
Depth-Heading systems and remote monitoring applications I used them
for.  Though the BasicX units can multitask, their limited RAM (400
bytes) makes it something to be careful of.  I would also note that
their on board serial port does 0V to 5V signalling rather than true -5V
to +5V, which is only a problem if you were connecting it to a dumb
device (such as a Fiber-Optic transceiver) and can be solved by putting
a maxim RS232 chip inline.

If you already program in C or have time to learn, don't pay the extra
money for the limitations of anything programmed in any basic variant.

All that said I would also note that one of the design constraints I was
under was that the systems had to be adaptable to work standalone (no
PC).  Given the option of a scratch redesign with a PC, I'd use 1-wire
sensors directly to it (well probably four seperate 1-wire networks (2
redundant for outside the hull and 2 redundant for inside the hull).

Good Luck,

mike