Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sensor Interfacing

This one I know, since I am an embedded systems
engineer. First, the direct to PC interface will be
either one of the most expensive, or one of the most
difficult you can tackle. Second, yes, there are
hundreds of options in the way of PCI boards (not AGP,
that is graphics). Interfacing through the RS232 Port
is what I would recommend. This is the easiest,
cheapest
and most flexible. To do this, you will need some
basic
electronics and programming skills (or you get back to
VERY expensive). The code and hardware is very simple
if you go with the MSP430F1121 (or related MSP430).
This
is the easiest series of MCUs to program. The devel
kit is $49 from TI. They have ADCs and UARTs built in.
You simply fire up the ADC, take a reading, fire up
the
UART, and transmit the reading to any RS232 device you
want. You can also recieve and execute control
commands.
This may sound a little wild, but believe me you get
the most bang for your buck in the MCU world. Another
simpler, and much less powerfull option would be the
Basic Stamp or BasicX. Both of these can also provide
a cheap interface to your PC.

Warren.