[PSUBS-MAILIST] 1964 fiberglass sub from Germany

I have a book called: TAUCHBOOTE, written by Norbert Gierschner. There is a description of the HAGENBURG. It was build in 1964 by Graf Hagenburg. Until 1968 some of them were sold to the USA under the name: PORPOISE.

It was made of GRP, its lenght was 3,1 mtr. It had 2 rotatable thrusters and an acrylic dome. Maximum dive depth 50 mtr.

There were 3 other GRP subs build in 1963 by Eschholz and Co. in Bremen. They were called S-24, SM64 and LM64. They were made of 10 mm GRP with steel reinforcements. They had 1 thruster and an acrylic dome. Maximum divedepth 30 mtr. In 1965 Bouilly (one of Cousteau's men) was killed in one. In the port of Monte Carlo at a depth of 18 mtr. there was an explosion that shatterd the dome. It is not known what caused the explosion. The batteries, the compressed air and the oxigen were placed in the pressure hull. So maybe there was a little bit to much O2, combined with a little bit of H2 from the batteries. We now know what precausions we have to take, but 40 years ago they were still pioneers.

Greetings,

Thijs Struijs
The Netherlands