Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 1964 fiberglass sub from Germany

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:32:00 +0200 Thijs Struijs
<thijs-struijs@planet.nl> writes:

>I have a book called: TAUCHBOOTE, written by Norbert Gierschner. There
>is a description of the HAGENBURG. It was build in 1964 by Graf
>Hagenburg. Until 1968 some of them were sold to the USA under the
>name: PORPOISE.

Do we know anyone who bought a PORPOISE?

Tell us more about the book, please.

>It was made of GRP, its lenght was 3,1 mtr. It had 2 rotatable
>thrusters and an acrylic dome. Maximum dive depth 50 mtr.

The one I found could dive to 95 feet.  The hull had been tested
to "over 350 feet."   Power was a 1.5 hp thruster.

>There were 3 other GRP subs build in 1963 by Eschholz and Co. in
>Bremen. They were called S-24, SM64 and LM64. They were made of 10 mm
>GRP with steel reinforcements. They had 1 thruster and an acrylic
>dome. Maximum divedepth 30 mtr.

Ah, ha!!

The model name given for the '64 sub is S-24.   You found it.  Thanks.

The hull was "almost half an inch thick with a double-thick prow."
"The hull itself is of fiberglass reinforced with steel."

By the way, Coleman Enterprises (Chicago) was the importer.
I presume that's the company that makes the lanterns and
camping gear.

>In 1965 Bouilly (one of Cousteau's
>men) was killed in one. In the port of Monte Carlo at a depth of 18
>mtr. there was an explosion that shatterd the dome. It is not known
>what caused the explosion. The batteries, the compressed air and the
>oxigen were placed in the pressure hull. So maybe there was a little
>bit to much O2, combined with a little bit of H2 from the batteries.

I'd not heard about that one.  Is it listed in the accidents?

>We now know what precausions we have to take, but 40 years ago they
>were still pioneers.

There still are pioneers here, mostly in terms of materials and design.
PSubs are now where experimental homebuilt airplanes were in about
1940.

Mike Holt

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!