[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Wooden Submarine

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:12:19 -0500 David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
writes:

>"Hampton's Unique Submarine Of The 1920's"
>http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/holman/sub.htm

I went, I looked and I'm amazed.

In the middle of the 19th century brothers named Winant created
a spindle-shaped ship.  Theirs had the usual screw, but I do recall
clearly a patent for a ship that  propelled itself with a screw that
was the entire length of the spindle hull ... was that Buckley?  I
don't recall.

Hmmm ....The idea would benefit from the application of TV cameras
to see outside ....  I wonder how much different the horsepower
requirement is for such a device?

Thanks.

Mike

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!