Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Empress of Ireland (was: Forbes story)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:09:15 -0700 Coalbunny writes:
>I have had nightmares of being in a sinking ship.  Imagine the cold
>water, you're in a compartment with a few other people, and as they
>ship goes down the water creates like a pressure tank.  Gets me to
wonder
>if people die from drowing or from excessive air/water pressure.  What
is
>the deepest a ship has sunk and had survivors recovered?

Interesting question.   My guess is that survivivors have never been
recovered from a ship that was deep enough to have required
diving gear.

> Brings to mind
>the movie, "Posidon Adventure".  All star cast.  Ship gets hit by
>tidal wave and capsizes.  Wonder if that's ever happened.  Ah, lots of
>questions.  Like how likely is it to have survived like the characters
>did?

Well, to continue your line of thinking, have you ever seen the
TV movie/miniseries "Goliath Awaits"?   It's about a ship that
was sunk during a war, and it landed on the bottom intact.
The survivors maintained a civilization; it was found by divers
exploring the wreck.   I don't recall any submarines being
in that movie.

Mike H.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com