Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Empress of Ireland (was: Forbes story)

On Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003, at 23:14 America/Indianapolis, Michael B
Holt wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:48:07 -0500 "E.L. King" writes:
>> Empress of Ireland?  Sure, I've heard of it.
>>
>> Sister ship to Empress of Britain, owned by the Canadian Pacific
>> Railway.  Built in Scotland.  Sunk in 1914, after being rammed
>> amidships in her starboard side by the coal collier Storstad.  If I
>> recall correctly, they never figured out exactly why the collision
>> happened.  It happened in thick fog, but other than that, there were
>> many conflicting details.
>
> This echoes a question asked a little while back: what are we
> going to do with our subs?
>
> How safe is dancing around a  sunken ship?    I tend to avoid old
> bent metal on land; in the water it'd be much more unlikely to
> attract my attention.
>
> Mike H.

Safe?  With proper precaution I would think it would be relatively
safe.  Although, there is always an element of risk.  I've always had
an interest in Undersea Archaeology.  I would Love to see a shipwreck
from my own sub.  I've seen, as most of you probably have, footage of
the Titanic taken from a sub.  It sent chills down my spine, I can only
imagine what it must be like to actually be down there.

Erick