Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Alternative hull material.

The originals dive depth is around 3 1/2 feet. My modification would
bottom out at around 8.  Though certainly strong enough to withstand the
awesome crushing force at that depth and widely available, the 55 gallon
drum has few other redeeming values.  Most obvious is it's bluntness.
Streamlining domes notwithstanding, the ridges would add battery
draining parasitic drag.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 33 feet 1 atmosphere?  The
pressure at 8 feet is almost trivial.  "Chopper gun" fiberglass can
withstand the rigors of the offshore environment for many years, so
would seem to be sufficiently durable for the calm of inland lakes.