Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Alternative hull material.

On 17 Mar 2003 23:25:06 -0600 Ward Monroe <wardomon@minn.net> writes:
>The originals dive depth is around 3 1/2 feet. My modification would
>bottom out at around 8.

I thought about the same thing.   The problem is that you have to be
sure you CANNOT go below that magic maximum.

In the early 1960s, a German company marketed a one-man sub
made of fiberglass an inch thick.   It worked well.

>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 33 feet 1 atmosphere?  The
>pressure at 8 feet is almost trivial.  "Chopper gun" fiberglass can
>withstand the rigors of the offshore environment for many years, so
>would seem to be sufficiently durable for the calm of inland lakes.

A depth of 6 feet is sufficient to kill you with an embolism, if you're
unlucky and clumsy.

Mike H.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com